What is an SR-22?

Simply put, an SR-22, also referred to as a Certificate of Financial Responsibility (CFR), is an insurance document required by state or court order for some drivers. It is not actually insurance but is a form your insurance company files with the Secretary of State on your behalf. An SR-22 means you have met the minimum liability coverage required.

Who needs an SR-22?

All individuals receiving court supervision for a mandatory insurance offense under the 3-707 of the Illinois Vehicle Code are required by law to file proof of an SR-22 Certificate.

Here are some reasons why you may need SR-22 Coverage:

  • Driving Under the Influence (DUI)/Driving While Intoxicated DWI) Convictions
  • Driving on a suspended license
  • Reckless driving
  • Driving without insurance
  • Multiple traffic infractions, such as speeding

How do I get an SR-22?

Don’t worry, we’re here to help! If you are required to obtain an SR-22, wait until you have received notice from the Secretary of State. After receipt of the mailed notice, you have 90 days to file the SR-22. Then, simply indicate to your insurance that you are a driver in need of an SR-22, and your insurance carrier will take it from there! After your insurance has filed and processed, the state will notify you.

How long do I need an SR-22?

Although the length of time needed for an SR-22 varies by state, three years is the typical requirement length. Contact your state department of motor vehicles for the exact length of time you’ll need.

What Are the Types of SR-22s?

  1. Owner: An owner policy is required for anyone who owns the vehicle they drive and holds insurance for that vehicle.
  2. Non-Owner/Operator: An operator or non-owner certificate is designed for people who don’t own a vehicle but may borrow or rent a vehicle from time-to-time.
  3. Owner/Operator: An operator/owner form applies to drivers who own their own vehicle and borrow or rent one to drive occasionally.

How long is an SR-22 valid?

Your SR-22 is valid as long as your insurance policy is active. If your policy lapses or cancels while holding an SR-22, your insurance company is required to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). However, making payments on time will help keep your policy from canceling and prevent an SR-26 form from being sent.

See how much you can save within minutes

Get a Quote